Compaq Presario 5000"

Status
Not open for further replies.

giblet101

Solid State Member
Friends PC had ME on it and he wanted me to remove it and install his 98se. So I save some settings, files and pics. Then I wipe the drive.

Now, when I try to load his 98 I get runtime error R6003. MS says to disable the boot virus setting.....I can't find it and I think that portion of the BIOS is hidden or something. How the heck do you get into the part of the Compaq BIOS that has this setting. Any help would be appreciated. ......Dave

Try hitting F9 when the compaq logo comes up.

If that doesn't work Try Del, F2, F12.

One of these will get you in.

Once you access the BIOS, look around and turn off that virus detection setting.

I guess you misread my post a bit(actually I wasn't very clear was I)?
I am in the BIOS, Delete then F10, but there is a very limited selection of choices once the BIOS have been accessed. I believe there is another "Compaq" code to access the full BIOS. I am just going to tell people I don't do Compaq...this sucks, I am going to have to probably eat a new mobo to get this to work. All the other parts are good, except I will probably have to use a spare case if I can beg one from someone. The Compaq case probably won't take a standard atx or micro.....................crap!

Ahhhhh..... I see, you're already IN the BIOS screen.

While you're there, check to see if the "supervisor" bios is enabled or not. If it is, disable it so you can access the full bios.

I have rooted around everywhere in the BIOS and the only thing I can find like that is under the security tab. It says power up password and setup password. Both are un-assigned. I think I will try HP support again or maybe there is a Compaq support forum out there somewhere. Thanks much for your help. I hope to become a more active member here. This is a good forum.

giblet101 said:
.... I am going to have to probably eat a new mobo to get this to work. ....

yeah I would like to see that ;) there must be some hidden administrator password for that BIOS only Compaq knows about. I doubt they still support something this old though. have you tried installing anything besides win98?

I seem to get a bit further with ME which was on it. I have to go to the books though, I have the directions somewhere here that I pulled off the net a while ago. I think ME loads to a bare drive a whle different way than 98. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom