CD & DVD drives not recognized by Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bzalot

Beta member
My brother is having a problem with his PC, the problem is that the CD and DVD drive doesn't work properly. They're powered and connected and all, but Windows doesn't recognize them as you can see

I sure doesn't know what to do

It's a packard bell PC with a P4 3GHz, 738MB DDR RAM, 295Watt PSU, 160GB harddrive, nvidia FX5200 128MB DDR RAM, Win XP home

I've loaded the default settings in the bios, nothing happened..

It appears to be a code 41, it initialized the driver but it couldn't find the hardware

n00bzalot said:
They're powered and connected and all, but Windows doesn't recognize them as you can see

Not sure from your post if you attempted to install thedrivers for your drives.

Go to start, control panel, Add remove hardware. see if it detects your hardware than install the drivers for them. you may have to use the disk that came with your hardware.

To double check if it is a driver issue.

go to your device manager, right click on the device with the question mark and select properties. Look on the driver tab. If a driver isn't installed it will say so, if it is installed it will say which one is.

Also, if windows doesn't have the driver for the device and you do not have the disk. Look on the device and get the name brand and go to manufacturers website to get driver. or try Drivers.com.

Let us know how it goes.

hope it helps...try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Guided Help to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems
Note We recommend that you uninstall all CD recording or CD writing programs before you delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values. You can reinstall any programs that you use after you resolve this problem.
Guided Help is available to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems. Guided Help can automatically perform the steps for you.

The actions that this Guided Help performs can be undone after Guided Help is finished. To undo this Guided Help, run Guided Help again. On the Welcome page, click Undo this Guided Help, and then follow the instructions.
For more information about Guided Help, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
915092 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915092/) Description of Guided Help for Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
• You must be logged on to Windows by using a computer administrator account to install and to use this Guided Help.
• You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided Help.
You must first download Guided Help. To start, click the following link.
Download Guided Help

(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/)

Manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

Back to the top

STATUS
This is a known issue that can occur when you remove Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier. This issue may also occur with Easy CD Creator version 5.01 and with DirectCD 3.01d or later.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
For more information about this similar issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
320553 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/) CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2

There may be other third-party CD-writing software products that exhibit similar behavior. Some or all of the troubleshooting steps in this article might apply if such a product also adds entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that begin with:
Warning Make sure to back up the registry before making any changes.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

also if by any chance you installed itunes...quicktime...or an intervideo program..
ok i found this solution in apple website,,in one of the forums..instructions
Why do I need a step-by-step guide to uninstalling iTunes?
Users often experience difficulties when installing iTunes, and it usually helps to cleanly uninstall iTunes first if you are having trouble. The Add/Remove Programs option in Control Panel can handle this, but leaves little bits-and-pieces all over the place that can affect a subsequent reinstall. Follow this step-by-step guide to ensure clean removal of all iTunes for Windows componentry.

Ensure that you backup your music prior to attempting any kind of uninstallation. Although uninstallation/reinstallation of iTunes usually does not touch the music folder, it is important to have a backup just in case something goes wrong.

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store or imported from CDs are saved in the user's My Music folder by default. These files will not be removed by this procedure.

Uninstall iTunes
1) In Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs (under Classic View in Windows XP)
2) Select iTunes from the list of currently installed programs, click Change/Remove.
3) An iTunes for Windows Installshield window appears. Select Remove, click Next. A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select OK.
4) A "Maintenance Successful" notification appears. Select Finish.

Uninstall iPod Updater
5) In Add/Remove Programs, select iPod Updater. Click Change/Remove.
6) A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select OK to remove iPod Updater.
7) Repeat for any and all iPod Updaters.

Uninstall QuickTime
In Add/Remove Programs, select QuickTime. Click Change/Remove.
9) The QuickTime Uninstall window appears. Select the Uninstall Everything.
10) The Uninstall Successful window appears. Select OK.
11) Close all windows, restart the computer.

Remove leftover components
12) Open My Computer. Open your hard drive. Open Program Files.
13) Delete iPod, iTunes and QuickTime folders if present.
14) Move back to the hard drive root. Open Documents and Settings. Open All Users.
15) Select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Select the View tab. Select "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK.
16) Open the Application folder. Delete the QuickTime folder if present.
17) Open the Apple Computer folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
1 Go back to Documents and Settings. Open the folder with your username.
19) Open the Application Data folder. Open the Apple Computer folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
20) Open the Local Settings folder. Open the Application Data folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
21) Go back to the Local Settings Folder. Open the Temp folder. Delete QTInstallerHelper.dll.
22) Empty the Recycle Bin.
23) Select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Select the View Tab. Select "Do not show hidden files or folders". Click OK.
24) Restart the computer.

OK now i follow this..after step#11.. after rebboting my pc ..i saw my dvd drives back.
i don't need to go to step#12 throught 24..so if somebody wants to follow this instructions..also i check burning a cd ,,everything is fine now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom