Computer freezing, not rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahto22

Beta member
here are the details:

P4 3.6ghz
2gb DDR2 RAM (made up of 4x512mb sticks)
Geforce4 6800 GT 256mb
I forget the exact model of the motherboard, but it is an ASUS wireless edition motherboard, and it was the newest model when I bought the computer in early 2005.
300gb HDD

Most of my computer is built up of ASUS hardware.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 problems that I kindly need help with. I have just formatted my entire hard drive, and installed the latest drivers for everything.

First off, Everytime i reboot my computer, the computer shuts down fine... but through the speakers i hear a female voice say "System failed due to CPU overclocking". I dont overclock, I never have needed to so I dont know what drugs that chick is smoking. I did some forum searches, and read that going into BIOS and upping the voltage of the ram to 2.7 will fix the problem. I went into BIOS and could only up it to 2.2 volts. I tried it and still got the same problem. That has been happening for about 5 months. To fix the problem, everytime I want to reboot, I have to shut the computer down for around about 10 minutes, then boot it up again. It wasn't much if a problem for me to do it that way until I got this latest problem.

The other problem I am getting is that with any game, new or old, that I play on my computer, after approximatly 10-15 minutes of play time (varies on different games. some as little as 5 some as much as 30 minutes) the game would become extremly laggy, then would freeze. I have tried turning the resolution down to as little as 800x600 but still no luck. The game freezes, and the sound sort of goes stuttery, and plays the same half a seconds game sound you just heard over and over and sounded like the computer was about to crash. Sometimes the computer completly crashes, sometimes just the game crashes... and sometimes it will recover after 30 seconds and I could continue playing for about 5 more minutes before it does it again.

I formatted my computer. Reinstalled just windows, my graphics drivers, raid drivers, sound drivers etc, and just 2 games: Battlefield 2142 and Hitman: Blood Money. It still does the exact same thing after i have formatted. I dont know whats wrong.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure I wrote down every detail I can possibly think of.

Thanks in advance if you help, it is greatly appreciated :D

by the way, i keep my screen resolution at 1280x1024 and have had it like that for over a year. Just incase that helps

or your bios chip, or chipsets, or cpu could be faulty, The cpu could be just overheating, IF you say The computer hasnt been overclocked, also what splatoid said with you resetting bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom