Help with home networking/file sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phx

Baseband Member
I just got a new router (which is a Linksys), and another computer.

Computer 1 is Windows XP Home Edition
Computer 2 is Windows XP Media Center Edition (this computer does NOT have a floppy disk drive (A:\))

Could someone explain step by step how I would set it up so we can share files across the network?

The other computer can already access the internet, and I have a web content filter running on my linux machine which is working on the second computer. All computers have a static lan IP.

You have to have the same workgroup name on both PC's
click run type ncpa.cpl hit enter
highlight your network connection
click advanced, then network identification
here you have the option to use the default work group or create and join your own.

make sure that your router has DHCP enabled
click run type ncpa.cpl hit enter
highlight your network card again, right click, select properties
scroll down highlight tcp/ip click properties
make sure the radio buttons for "..obtain automatically " are check for tcp and dns.
on each pc create a logon account and each others account will need to be on the pc as well.
then share some folders on each pc.
turn OFF all firewalls till you get it going.

Ok for the whole account thing, it's a normal account with no password? limited?, and what should i name the account, the name of the computer im adding (eg: the name listed in My Computer > Properties, or..?)

Also, does it have to be dynamically assigned? I'd more prefer to keep my computers having a static ip address. (the computers hold the ip address names, however I could make my router do it..)

it's a normal account with no password
I think you will need to use passwords for each account. you have to put each others accounts on each others machine also. The account , is the logon account that you log on with.
click start, then click run
type in [ control usserpasswords2 ] without the brackets
hit enter

Also, does it have to be dynamically assigned?
NO it does not just turn off the DHCP in the router. If you use static ip you have to have the same ip on both except for the last octet of the ip. You will also have to put the gateway of the router ip and your ip and for dns put in the gateway ip again, if you can not get on line ( internet) you will need to put in your isp's DNS ip. Actually static ip is more secure than Dynamic.

Yeah I know where the user management is, but my question is..

For example, say I have Computer 1 named COMP1 and Computer 2 named COMP2.

On computer 1 do I have to have the user account named COMP2? Can it be limited/does it need a password? what?

I need details..

No computer1 and computer2 are the names of the computers

you need to create a logon U S E R account on each pc, like Mike, Sally , Bob and assign a password to it, . Each pc needs a unique logon account AND since it is a peer to peer you have to have each others account on the other pc. So if you have computer1 with logon account Bob and Computer 2 with logon account Mike , you also have to have Mike on computer 1 and Bob on computer 2. You may be able to accomplish all this with Usser accounts in control panel or use control usserpasswords2 in the run box. Also make sure the guest account is not disabled and taht you have a password assigned for all.

For a simple p2p fileshare network just run the wizard on both comps making sure they are in the same workgroup.

sharing folders is as easy as right clicking the folders and clicking sharing.

So user accounts is not needed? I tried this lasttime and couldn't get it to work, both computers had the workgroup HOME, also.

Should I select both computers as the second option? (coming from router)? Is there anything I need to do in the router config? If it is indeed setup correctly, how do I access a shared folder on another computer?

You should see the shares in network places.

Do you have a software firewall like zone alarm, that will block it.

Alright, I got it working correctly. Thanks everyone.

Still another question, short of someone using a trojan on one of the shared computers (since I have a WIRED network), theres no other way someone can break in, without having physical access?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom